Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The welcome challenge of a vegan.

I can't really remember how it came about. Perhaps it is just a natural progression, but we began having treats at the roaster's Public Cuppings. I have made sea salt caramels and others have brought cakes and cookies.

Then Levi started to come by on a regular basis. Levi is vegan. I love a cooking challenge! I began by making an apple pie. He hadn't had one since he was in 7th grade, so it was a must! That was pretty easy since all I had to replace was the butter in the crust (used Earth Balance.) Then I found a vegan chocolate cake recipe. So easy and so good! I have made it a couple of times with absolutely no high-altitude issues. Amazing.

Then came the Ginger Snaps. I had purchased a can of Ginger People's ginger chips when I was trying to come up with my signature drink for competition. The can was still sitting around and I took a look and there was a cookie recipe on the label. All I would have to replace was the butter and an egg. I had already seen an egg replacement idea involving flax seeds and water that looked really simple, so I thought I would give it a go.

They were awesome! Slightly crunchy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. The flavor of the flax egg complimented the molasses and ginger. So good! My accountant came up that day and after trying a cookie he said "Now if I could something like this in a coffeehouse!"

I will be making these again!

2 comments:

  1. Those look delish! I just tried out a new vegan cookie recipe myself. They were a big hit to my non vegan family. I think Matt must have had about 7 or 8 last night. I haven't had a chance to post it on my blog, but I do have a picture on my FB. If you want the recipe, let me know.

    ReplyDelete